Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Business Models, Strategy and Tactics

I recently came across this wonderfully written paper by Ramon Casadesus-Masanell Associate Professor at the Harvard Business School and Joan Enric Ricart who have kindly consented to my cross linking their paper on this blog.

Ramon and Joan dwell upon an exceedingly important concept pertaining to Business Models, Strategy and Tactics and in the process lay threadbare these ubiquitously used but rarely completely understood concepts. I found it exceedingly useful and thought it would be good for the benefit of the readers of my blog. Feel free to post your thoughts which I am sure would benefit the authors too.

We often use these terms almost casually without understanding their real meaning. I have read quite a few books on the subject but most of them deal with Strategy and Tactics per se while leaving Business Model - a term again used quite frequently - out of the discussion. Ramon and Joan fill the gap by elucidating the real significance of this term. They draw upon several other studies in the process and show a working definition. They present examples to develop the concept more fully to show how these terms can be employed in better understanding and creating a framework for your business. I hope it will be found beneficial by the readers.

http://www.hbs.edu/research/pdf/10-036.pdf

No comments: